Finished Projects

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Totes McGotes...cool"

(I Love You, Man is an awesome movie)

Anyways, the other day I was at Quilter's Corner dropping off pillowcases my students had made for ConKerr Cancer (which, by the way, is a really, really cool organization if you've got some time to spare and some sewing knowledge).

Of course, I couldn't just drop them off without looking around at all the cool fabric and quilts they have. I initially was looking for layer cakes of fabric for a cute quilt pattern I saw on Moda Bake Shop. I didn't realize how much a layer cake costs, so I skipped out on that idea.

As I was walking around the store (several times), I kept stopping to look at a cute tote bag. It was the perfect size for my laptops so I decided to spend a few dollars to buy it.



My first attempt was this bag. It turned out pretty cute, except my measurements were a bit off and the lining is a bit too big and doesn't fit right. The handles are also a bit too long because I ignored the directions and made them as long as I wanted them to be.

It still needs a large button for the closure, and one of these days I'll make it out to Jo Ann's with a couple bucks to get one.

I forget the name of this fabric line, but it came together as a fat quarter bundle. The nice part is that I didn't have to worry about coordinating fabric.
Lining with 6 pockets














I started my second attempt on Monday evening and used another fat quarter bundle. This time, instead of doing the individual bricks, I made stripes. The handles are also shorter.

5 contrasting pockets (2 red, 3 green)














Again, I need a button for the closure, but I did a better job measuring and the lining fits inside perfectly. I also did the pockets differently.

All in all, I think I like the first bag more for the only reason that I like the colors better. The second bag was constructed better because I knew what I was doing at this point. I can definitely see myself making more of these in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment