Finished Projects

Saturday, March 5, 2011

So many blocks, so little time...

Last year I grabbed a copy of Quiltmaker Magazine's 100 Blocks issue to see a block submitted by my quilt teacher. They came out with a second volume of 100 Blocks which I grabbed with a Barnes & Noble gift card left over from my birthday. Win.

Finally finished cutting
In this new volume, I've been itching to try block #175 Vanishing Squares by Sandi Irish; however, I don't know how I feel about using different colors. I ordered some hand dyed purples and black from my favorite Etsy shop, Ruby Mountain Dye Works and got to work cutting.

I ended up with more than 400 rectangles and squares. Blargh. I just can't get going on it. I laid out the cut pieces to get an idea of what it's going to look like. I'm pretty happy so far. Let's just hope that once I start sewing, it's all going to piece together nicely and easily.

Laying out a block
The bottom right corner is being washed out a bit too much. It's not really that light, maybe only a hair lighter than the pieces next to it.

Once I have all 16 blocks sewn, I'm going to play a little with the layout to get it just right. The cool thing about these blocks is that you can twist and turn them to get a different effect each time. I like the whole fading in and out concept and think it'll look really cool once it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment