Finished Projects

Friday, January 21, 2011

Thinking outside the box...

"Boxed In" is going pretty well. Considering I started it during winter break, I think it's progressing nicely. Yesterday, I began the tedious task of free motion quilting. Why tedious?

Because I have no idea what the heck I'm doing.

Loops!
I've read plenty of tutorials and watched many videos, but was still nervous to try it out myself. I stared at this thing for days trying to figure out how to quilt it. I finally decided to try stippling the insides of the boxes. I quickly determined I suck at stippling. I switched over to loops and actually liked the look a lot. Plus, it was pretty simple!

I quilted the blocks with clear thread, but switched over to cotton when I began working on the inside border. I used a tan thread plus a dark brown bobbin to match the backing fabric.

Quilting the border
I don't think I'm going to do anything on the wider outside border, but I will quilt the corner squares. My goal tonight is to get the binding stitched on so I can sit at work tomorrow hand sewing it to the back.

I'd like to make a tag for the back before I give it away, but I don't quite know how to go about that. I don't know if you're supposed to embroider tags and stitch them on, or if you can find some sort of special pen to hand write it?? I don't think I have any readers yet, but if I do, and you know what I'm talking about, what advice do you have for making tags?

You're not leaving until it's done!

(*This post was written following this guideline: http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/ Apparently it's not necessary to use two spces after a period anymore. It makes me feel awkward.)

No comments:

Post a Comment