So before winter break, I was browsing through my quilt patterns folder and spotted "Boxed In" from the Moda Bake Shop. The "ingredients" for this "recipe" call for border, backing, and binding fabric as well as a layer cake.
::insert blank expression:: Neither cat knew what I was talking about.
Layer cake, eh? Fortunately, Moda's site has definitions for all these fancy schmancy packs of fabric. A layer cake, boys and girls, is a package of 42 squares of fabric cut down to 10". Of course, there are also honey buns, jelly rolls, dessert rolls, and turnovers to complete the sweet theme.
|Cutting the fabric down|
So I cut down the fat quarters into 5" blocks and hacked up a few yards of light and dark brown into uneven sashing to go around each one. Then the sewing marathon began.
I sewed blocks for what seemed like days. Let's do the math:
25 blocks x 5 pieces of fabric = 125 parts
Maybe that's not a lot. I don't know. I'm new to this.
I jumped back and forth between assembling the blocks themselves and stitching together the rows. I just can't focus on the same task for too long.
|Laying out blocks and rows|
I used post it's to keep my rows in order. I sketched out a plan of the blocks before cutting so I could see what colors go where and how many I needed of each. I wanted to make sure they were evenly scattered throughout the quilt top.
I also adjusted the pattern slightly before beginning my own project. The original design called for smaller inner and outer borders. My version resulted in an inner border measuring 2" after sewing and an outer border of 5". I also added corner blocks to the outer border using leftover fabric from the center of the squares.
|Finished quilt top|
Let's be honest. I'll probably just chicken out and stitch in the ditch.
(I took these pictures with my phone. That's why they don't look so perty.)